Autumn/Winter Hunting and Trapping Seasons
2014 / 2015
Further to prime ministerial intervention season is closed between 20th September 3pm until 11th October 5am.
Hunting Autumn/Winter 2014 / 2015
- Hunting can take place between the 1st September 2014 and 31st January 2015
- Hunting can take place between two hours before sunrise and two hours after sunset on any day between Monday and Saturday, and between two hours before sunrise and 1pm on Sundays and Public Holidays,
- Hunting of birds at sea can take place between the 1st October 2014 and the 31st January 2015 during the same times as those applicable to hunting on land,
- It is illegal to hunt on sea or land after 19:00 on weekdays between the 15th and 7th October, inclusive,
- It is illegal to hunt after 13:00 on a Sunday and public holidays,
- It is illegal to hunt in a Bird Sanctuary (e.g. Buskett, Salina),
- It is illegal to hunt within 50 meters of a main road,
- It is illegal to hunt within 200 meters of a residential area,
- It is illegal to hunt using boats capable of exceeding 18kph,
- It is illegal to hunt at sea within 3km of the shoreline,
- It is illegal to hunt a bird which is not on the list of these 41 huntable species.
Trapping Autumn/Winter 2014 / 2015
- Trapping can take place between the 20th October and 31st December 2014 to catch finches, Golden Plover and Song Thrush.
- It is not allowed to trap birds between two hours after sunset and two hours before sunrise of the following day,
- It is illegal to trap any birds before the 20th October 2014 and after the 31st December 2014
- It is illegal to trap in protected areas (e.g ‘Xaghri’ in Natura 2000 sites).
If you witness or know about any illegal hunting it is important to first report to the Police, and than BirdLife Malta.
BirdLife Malta: 2134 7644 /5
If you need any extra help, download a step by step guide on how to report illegal hunting to the police